Wednesday, November 5, 2008

CHANGE...What does that mean?


So! Today we have a new president! Not the one I would have liked to see but the people have spoken. People voted for change...what EXACTLY does that mean? There are many definitions of change but I think the following definition clearly defines the change that happened last night:
  • to become different: Overnight the nation's mood changed.
After watching the entire process unfold last night watching both McCain's gracious concession speech and Obama's hopeful speech, I woke up this morning determined to approach this new-found change with an open mind. I listened to Talk Radio this morning and a caller who voted for Obama called in and after many attempts from the host to get her to identify in specifics this "change" she spoke about, it dawned on me that no one REALLY knows what IT is but they know they want it.

I think for many people, Obama represents a way of moving beyond the past atrocities we humans can do to one another and for those who didn't vote for Obama, the change he brings represents fear...fear of the unknown. I, for one, do not want to allow myself to be fearful nor do I want to close my mind off to any positive things he may bring to this country. Does that mean I agree with his political record...ABSOLUTELY NOT!

No matter what people say, this country is still divided - and always will be. Not necessarily racially divided, but divided nonetheless. After record voter turnout last night in quite possibly one of the most important elections our country will ever see, the country ultimately were split pretty much down the middle. We all have different moral compasses and therefore this "change" will always be viewed differently. That is what makes this America.

1 comment:

sheline coughlin said...

My concern is that the Muslim worlds and the Western European nations know more about what this "change" is referring to, and they're celebrating and dancing in the streets. It worries me.

This morning all of the political pundits from both sides agreed that Obama would have won on any ticket, not because he has anything to say, but that he wins over the crowd. It's almost spooky.

thanks for listening
www.justsayitasitis.blogspot.com