Thursday, July 2, 2009

Livin' La Vida Loco




Arnold Schwarzenegger declared a fiscal state of emergency yesterday for the state of California as they begin to issue IOU’s to pay bills today. He did provide some reassurance however by saying, ”We will make those payments. We are responsible.” I don’t have to be a former Southern California resident to see the stupidity of that statement. We are so responsible that we have to begin to issuing IOUs to pay our bills but we will make the payments because we are responsible. WHAT? Are you kidding me?

I think I might just try that method myself. In fact I think I will mail Chase bank an IOU for my mortgage payment today and on the memo portion write courtesy of Arnold & the state of CA. I do not hold one person or party responsible for the situation CA finds itself in but how can a state as large as that collecting as much revenue and taxes as they do find themselves in this situation. What are they spending the money on? Certainly not roads, because as any CA resident will testify the 405 & 101 freeways are some of the worst in the country. What about those shovel ready jobs, Mr. Obama? I’m sure CA could certainly use some of those right now. CA is also obviously not spending on schools because students are now faced with finding alternative means to pay for their education. It must be healthcare…but I’m sure after President Obama’s universal healthcare program comes through CA can get back to the business of being fiscally responsible.

Leaving CA a few years ago was a tough decision because let’s face it, everything pretty much starts in CA but after seeing what has happened to the real estate market out there combined with the bloated state government I am so glad I did move when I did. I can’ t imagine paying over $10K a year in property taxes alone and paying state taxes only to receive an IOU in the mail for my refund how angry I would be.

Way to go CA! Thanks for setting the bar so high!

No comments: